NEW YORK, N.Y. (FNN NEWS) – Bobby Brown has often been very protective over his late wife Whitney Houston’s legacy following her death in 2012, so it’s perhaps unsurprising that Deadline reports that he’s suing both Showtime and BBC over the 2017 documentary that he says features previously unseen footage that he never gave his approval of.
“The film contains footage that Brown and [his late daughter Bobbi Kristina Brown] has never consented to have released,” the suit, which was filed Tuesday, November 27 in New York District Court, reads. “Brown and [his late daughter] appear in the film for a substantial period of time, in excess of thirty (30) minutes…Brown never signed or executed a release for the airing of the material that appears in the film.
“Every person should have the right to control how their identity or likeness or personality, or voice, name or image is commercialized by others,” the complaint said.
The documentary premiered at the 2017 Tribeca Film Festival before airing on Showtime in the States and the BBC in the UK later that year. It was later sold to other markets, notably Germany, Italy, and the Netherlands without express permission from Brown. He’s seeking more than $2 million in damages.
Vera Wilkerson is a contributor for Florida National News. | firstname.lastname@example.org