FLORIDA NATIONAL NEWS (FNN NEWS) CONTRIBUTOR GUIDELINES
(If you wish to download our guidelines, you can get the PDF version here: FNN News Contributor Guidelines 2017. If not, read on.)
Florida National News invites timely, investigative, or buzzworthy pieces in the categories of entertainment, sports, politics, business, and luxury lifestyle (health and fitness, food and drink, nightlife, luxury living, etc.). However, Florida National News contributors and internships are unpaid. We welcome objective news as well as op-ed pieces. Ideal posts are 800 to 1,000 words. Email your content idea to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Managing Editor will read your idea email and let you know within two days if it is being considered for publication. If you do not receive word in that time, please feel free to submit your article elsewhere. While all submissions are read, we regret that the volume of what we receive prevents us from responding to everyone who is kind enough to write.
1. Intellectual Property Rights: As a Florida National News contributor, you agree that Florida National News retains all copyrights to content you submit while on assignment with Florida National News (including but not limited to written content, on-camera interviews, video footage, video edits, photos, etc.). In some cases, you can request that an article be partially republished with a link to the original piece on Florida National News. If you wish to repurpose the content on another website, please send an email to email@example.com with the headline “Republish Request”.
In sharing your submitted content on social media, you will share it from Florida National News properties (www.floridanationalnews.com, Florida National News YouTube channel, and Florida National News social media pages and accounts on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Google+, LinkedIn, and Pinterest). All content produced while on assignment will be turned over to the Florida National News Managing Editor or Publisher on deadline.
2. Turnaround Time: For time-sensitive news, you agree to submit your work as soon as possible, but no later than 24 hours. You may attach your work or share a cloud-based link to your work in an email to the Managing Editor at firstname.lastname@example.org upon completion.
3. Plagiarism: FNN News has a zero tolerance plagiarism policy. Plagiarism includes (but is not limited to):
- Copying content from any website, whether an author is given or not.
- “Spinning” someone else’s work.
- Copying someone else’s work verbatim and submitting it as your own.
- Copying someone else’s work and changing some words or phrases.
- Copying any part of someone else’s work, whether changing words or not.
- Using someone else’s idea as your own, including organization, flow, and main ideas of a post, images, examples, etc.
4. Website access: After three consistent published assignments, you will be given an account on the Florida National News website to directly upload your work as a Draft, at which point the Florida National News Managing Editor will finalize and publish your work as well as share it across the Florida National News social media network.
5. Contributor profiles: Author bios and a professional headshot for individual contributors must be placed in the user profile. If multiple authors collaborated on a post, it will be published under one name and the other authors’ names will be included in a by-line at the bottom. Example: “John Doe and John Smith also contributed to this post.”
6. Calls to Action (CTAs): End all of your content with an ask of some kind to engage the audience. Here is what counts as an acceptable CTA:
- Asking readers/viewers to leave a comment
- Asking readers/viewers to share the content with anyone they think will benefit from it
- Registration for an event/tickets (webinar or live event)
- A free demo (must link to signup page)
- A call to visit a company website that relates to the article
- A download for content resource(s) that relates to the article and will add value to the
audience (guide, report, eBook, video, etc.)
7. Links: No more than 3 links should point back to any site.
- Research or data
- Relevant articles and blog posts
- Relevant resources that will add great value to the reader
8. Internal communication: Send any issues, comments, requests, and questions to the Managing Editor at email@example.com.
These guidelines are subject to change at any time. Contributors are responsible for making themselves aware of changes and adhering to them.
Disclaimer: Your request to create a contributor account constitutes an agreement to these posting guidelines. Failure to follow these guidelines may result in your contributor access being revoked.
All set? If you’re ready to be an FNN News contributor, apply here.