FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (FNN NEWS) — A gunman opened fire in Fort Lauderdale International Airport’s baggage claim area Friday afternoon. At present, there are five confirmed dead and eight injured.
After only a few hours, the Broward County Sheriff’s Office and Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) has released the following information:
- The gunman, who was carrying military ID, has been arrested and publicly identified by U.S. Senator of Florida Bill Nelson as 26-year-old Esteban Santiago. According to eyewitnesses, he was wearing a Star Wars t-shirt and the attack was unprovoked. Witnesses say he said nothing before opening fire.
- The eight injured victims have been transferred to a nearby hospital.
- Broward County Commissioner Chip LaMarca explained that Santiago was a passenger and had the gun in his checked luggage, which he retrieved and took out when he went into the restroom.
- Santiago was reportedly arrived on a flight from Anchorage, Alaska.
- Santiago served in the Puerto Rico National Guard.
- Broward Sheriff’s Office urges anyone with any information about the shooting to call 954-831-4000 or 311 instead of 911.
- Associated Press reports that the gunman’s brother noted Santiago has previously received psychological treatment in Alaska.
On another note, while this is a national security threat and would normally require a phone call to the incumbent President, Florida Governor Rick Scott did not contact President Obama at all and instead called President-elect Donald Trump. The Associated Press reports he chose to call Trump because he already has a relationship with the Republicans. When asked why he didn’t contact President Obama, he said: “It’s not the time to be political. It’s a time to mourn those who lost their lives, finish the investigation and pray for everybody that’s still fighting for their lives.”
Stay tuned to www.FloridaNationalNews.com for more updates.