JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (FNN SPORTS) – After getting off to a slow start, the Tennessee Titans used their ground game to wear down the Jacksonville Jaguars by the score of 37-16. Derrick Henry, a Yulee, Florida native, rushed for a career-high 92 yards and scored the game-breaking 17-yard touchdown in the third quarter. The Titans finished with 179 rushing yards and most of them came in the 2nd half (Henry had 87 of his 92 in the second half).
Tennessee also got rushing touchdowns from Delanie Walker and Jalston Fowler as they scored 31 of their 37 points in the second half. Titans quarterback Marcus Mariota finished 15 for 27 for 215 passing yards with one touchdown and one interception. He also contributed 24 rushing yards. The Titans did most of their rushing yard damage with leading rusher DeMarco Murray only having 29 yards and he did not play the majority of the second half with a hamstring injury.
Jacksonville started the game off strong. After holding the Titans to a three-play-and-punt drive, they went on a 12 play, 51-yard drive to give themselves a 3-0 lead. Then Tennessee added two field goals, including one at the end of the half to make the score 6-3.
The Jaguars committed three turnovers in the game and had four possessions of three plays and punts in the game. Starting quarterback Blake Bortles threw for 223 yards in the game, but most of them came in the final quarter, where the Jaguars were down as many as 28 points. Bortles struggled to make plays down without Allen Robinson. Robinson suffered a season-ending ACL injury in their victory against Houston last week. Allen Hurns led Jacksonville with six catches for 82 yards and a touchdown catch.
Leonard Fournette, who rushed for 100 yards in his debut, was held to 40 yards on 14 carries. He also scored a one-yard run in the fourth quarter.
- 43-yard field goal by Jason Myers (Jaguars 3-0)
- 40-yard field goal by Ryan Succop (Game tied at 3)
- 41-yard field goal by Succop (Tennessee 6-3)
- 26-yard field goal by Succop (Tennessee 9-3)
- 17-yard touchdown run by Derrick Henry (Tennessee16-3)
- 1-yard touchdown run by Delanie Walker (Tennessee 23-3)
- 32-yard touchdown catch by Jonnu Smith from Marcus Mariota (Tennessee 30-3)
- 1-yard touchdown run by Leonard Fournette (Tennessee 30-9) (Jacksonville missed 2-point conversion)
- 3-yard touchdown run by Jalston Fowler (Tennessee 37-9)
- 7-yard Touchdown pass by Allen Hurns from Blake Bortles (Tennessee 37-16)
Next Sunday, Jacksonville plays the Baltimore Ravens in London and Tennessee will host the Seattle Seahawks at home.
Danny Thompson is a contributing sports reporter for Florida National News. | email@example.com