ORLANDO, Fla. (FNN SPORTS) – After scoring 56 points on the road last week against UConn, the UCF Knights opened their home side of the 2018 season with a 38-0 victory over the South Carolina State Bulldogs on Saturday night. Even though Heisman Trophy candidate McKenzie Milton threw three first half interceptions, the UCF defense stole the show.
Led by senior middle linebacker Pat Jasinski, UCF held the Bulldogs to 257 yards in total offense and had 3 interceptions. Most importantly, the Knights forced the Bulldogs to 1 for 10 on third down. South Carolina State went 3 for 15 on third downs and missed both attempts for 4th down conversions. SC State quarterbacks combined to complete 6 out of their 19 pass attempts.
On the offensive side of the ball, Adrian Killins Jr. led the rushing attack for the Knights. After scoring two touchdowns in the opening quarter, Killins had a total of 8 carries for 89 yards in the game as most of the UCF starters sat the entire 4th quarter. UCF finished with yards on the ground and three of the running backs had over 40 yards rushing (Killings, Greg McCrae and Otis Anderson).
Milton finished the game throwing for 243 yards in the air, but throughout most of the opening half wasn’t as effective as he was the previous week. McKenzie went 10 for 23 in the first half for 130 yards, but in the third quarter he went 11 for 16 with his only touchdown pass of the game to Gabriel Davis. Davis had his first career 100-yard receiving game and had 9 catches for 111 yards with the touchdown.
UCF’s next game will be on September 15 against the North Carolina Tarheels on the road in Chapel Hill. They will return home on Friday September 21st as they take on Florida Atlantic on ESPN at 7pm. South Carolina State will play North Carolina Central at home next Saturday.
- UCF – Killins Jr. 3-yard touchdown run – 3 plays, 41 yards – 0:23 (UCF 7-0, 11:26 left)
- UCF – Killins Jr. 24-yard touchdown run – 2 plays, 26 yards – 0:35 (UCF 14-0, 3:06 left)
- UCF – Wright 25-yard field goal – 8 plays, 51 yards – 1:32 (UCF 17-0 11:02 left)
- UCF – Anderson 1-yard touchdown run – 20 plays, 94 yards – 4:48 (UCF 24-0, 0:10 left)
- UCF – Davis 13-yard touchdown catch from Milton – 5 plays, 49 yards – 0:42 (UCF 31-0, 8:08 left)
- UCF – McCrae 32-yard touchdown run – 3 plays, 64 yards – 0:38 (UCF 38-0, 5:39 left)
Danny Thompson is a sports contributor with Florida National News. | email@example.com