Florida
Congresswoman Sheila Cherfilus-McCormick, Poverello Center, and DoorDash Launch Emergency Food Response Ahead of SNAP Shutdown
Published
4 weeks agoon
By
Willie DavidSOUTH FLORIDA (FNN NEWS) – As millions of Americans prepare to lose access to food assistance due to the ongoing federal government shutdown, Congresswoman Sheila Cherfilus-McCormick, the Poverello Center, and DoorDash are joining forces to call for urgent action and provide support to vulnerable families in need.
On Friday, October 31, 2025, at 11:00 a.m., the three partners will hold a media availability at the Poverello Center (2056 N Dixie Hwy, Wilton Manors, FL 33305) to highlight the need for an emergency food response as Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) funding is set to run out on November 1, leaving more than 40 million Americans—including thousands of South Florida residents—without access to critical food assistance.
DoorDash Expands Emergency Food Response Nationwide
In anticipation of the SNAP funding lapse, DoorDash has activated its Emergency Food Response initiative, providing free delivery for its Project DASH food bank and pantry partners nationwide. The initiative also includes a partnership with major grocery retailers to waive delivery and service fees for an estimated 300,000 grocery orders for SNAP recipients.
Additionally, DoorDash will donate food from DashMart stores to local food banks, including the Poverello Center, helping ensure families have access to nutritious food during the government funding gap.
“Project DASH has been a lifeline for families and food banks across the country,” said Alyssa Betz, DoorDash’s Head of Federal Affairs. “As SNAP benefits expire, we are proud to expand our commitment to ensure communities continue to receive the support they need.”
Poverello Center’s Ongoing Impact
Since its launch in 2018, Project DASH has facilitated over 8 million deliveries, providing an estimated 135 million meals to families in need. The Poverello Center, a long-time partner of the program, has successfully completed 10,000 deliveries to local residents, helping bridge the gap for those facing food insecurity.
Congresswoman Sheila Cherfilus-McCormick praised the partnership, emphasizing the importance of government and private sector collaboration in addressing hunger during a crisis. “No family in South Florida should go hungry because of political gridlock. Together, we are working to ensure that our most vulnerable residents have food on their tables,” she said.
Event Details:
When: Friday, October 31, 2025 – 11:00 AM
Where: Poverello Center, 2056 N Dixie Hwy, Wilton Manors, FL 33305
Who:
Congresswoman Sheila Cherfilus-McCormick
Representative from the Poverello Center
Alyssa Betz, DoorDash’s Head of Federal Affairs
___________________________________________________________________________________________
Stay connected with Florida National News and the FNN News Network for ongoing coverage of the federal government shutdown and its impact on families and communities across Florida.
You may like
Business
VISIT FLORIDA: Tourism Generates $133.6 Billion in 2024, Saves Households Nearly $2,000
Published
3 days agoon
November 26, 2025By
Willie DavidTALLAHASSEE, Fla. (FNN) — Florida’s tourism industry delivered record-breaking economic benefits in 2024, generating $133.6 billion in economic impact and saving the state’s more than 9 million households nearly $2,000 each in taxes, according to the 2024 Economic Impact of Tourism study released by VISIT FLORIDA.
Out-of-state visitors spent $134.9 billion in Florida last year, a 3.0% increase from 2023. U.S. travelers accounted for $120.1 billion of that total, while international visitors contributed $14.8 billion. The study also showed that for every dollar spent by visitors, 99 cents remained in Florida, boosting local businesses, wages, and public revenue.
Record-Breaking Tourism Growth
Florida welcomed 143 million visitors in 2024, marking the highest annual total in state history. Tourism accounted for 7.8% of Florida’s nominal Gross State Product, and the sector continued to be one of the strongest pillars of the state’s economy.
“Our tourism industry is critical to Florida’s strong economic position,” Governor Ron DeSantis said. “Florida remains the top destination for travelers from across the country and the world because we prioritize freedom and safety. Tourism fuels jobs and keeps Florida’s economy strong.”
Major Tax Revenue and Household Savings
Tourism-generated activity produced $33.6 billion in federal, state, and local taxes in 2024, a 3.3% increase over the previous year. Without this tax revenue, Florida households would have paid an additional $1,730 annually to maintain current state and local government services.
“Tourism drives Florida’s economy,” said Bryan Griffin, President and CEO of VISIT FLORIDA. “This data demonstrates the value of Florida’s investment in tourism marketing. Florida’s 9.1 million households are saving nearly $2,000 a year because of the tax revenues generated by Florida tourism.”
Strong Workforce and Wage Growth
The tourism sector supported 1.8 million jobs in 2024, representing a 1.8% year-over-year increase. Tourism-related wages totaled $79.9 billion, including $44 billion in direct wages—a 4.6% increase from 2023. For every visitor dollar spent, 59 cents directly supported worker salaries, up from 2023 figures.
The report, produced by Rockport Analytics, applies a revised methodology that has been retroactively implemented for previous years. Year-over-year changes reflect these updated calculations.
_____________________________________________________________
Florida
Governor Ron DeSantis Proposes New Measures to Protect Puppies and Crack Down on Abuse in Florida
Published
3 days agoon
November 25, 2025By
Willie DavidLOXAHATCHEE, Fla. (FNN) — Governor Ron DeSantis on Tuesday announced a proposal aimed at strengthening protections for puppies in Florida and cracking down on abusive breeding operations. Working in partnership with the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, the state will develop standardized practices to ensure ethical breeding and humane treatment of dogs.
Regulating Dog Breeders and Eliminating Puppy Mills
Under the proposal, the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation would be directed to license dog breeders and hold abusive operations accountable. The initiative targets puppy mills that mistreat animals by overbreeding them, keeping them in extreme weather, confining them in cramped cages, or restricting access to water.
“In Florida, we will always fight to protect man’s best friend,” DeSantis said. “The proposal we announced today will end unethical puppy mills, hold accountable abusive breeders, and help shelter dogs find loving homes.”
Strengthening Reporting and Expanding Adoption Access
The plan includes the creation of a statewide hotline for reporting breeder abuse, enabling faster action against violators.
Additionally, pet stores would be required to offer space to local shelters for dog adoptions before using those areas to sell animals from breeders. State officials say the step is essential as shelters across Florida face overcrowding and increasing euthanasia risks.
Enhanced Penalties and Recent Legislative Actions
The proposal also calls for the development of legislation to increase penalties for individuals who abuse or torture animals in the presence of a minor.
Earlier this year, Governor DeSantis signed Trooper’s Law and Dexter’s Law, both aimed at strengthening animal protection.
Trooper’s Law makes it a felony to abandon or restrain a dog during a state of emergency, following the case of Trooper, a dog rescued during Hurricane Milton.
Dexter’s Law, passed after the brutal killing of a recently adopted dog, creates a sentencing multiplier for those who torture, mutilate, or kill a dog. It also establishes a statewide database of individuals convicted of animal abuse to prevent shelters from allowing repeat offenders to adopt animals.
• Regulating Breeders and Ending Puppy Mills
• Improving Reporting and Adoption Opportunities
• Strengthening Penalties and Recent Animal Welfare Laws
Florida
Jacksonville Rolls Past Los Angeles 35-6 as Hines-Allen Sets Franchise Sack Record
Published
2 weeks agoon
November 18, 2025By
Mike BrodskyJACKSONVILLE, Fla. (FNN SPORTS) — The Jacksonville Jaguars (6–4) delivered a commanding 35–6 victory over the Los Angeles Chargers (7–4) Sunday at EverBank Stadium, marking their first meeting since Jacksonville’s historic 27-point comeback in the 2023 AFC Wild Card round.
Jacksonville Jaquard running back(#41) Bhayshul Tuten capped the Jaguars’ first scoring drive with a 4-yard rushing touchdown Photo by Arthur Morgan / Florida National News
Jaguars Take Control Early
Chargers kicker Cameron Dicker opened the scoring with a 41-yard field goal, but Jacksonville quickly answered. Running back Bhayshul Tuten capped the Jaguars’ first scoring drive with a 4-yard rushing touchdown, and kicker Cam Little added the PAT to give Jacksonville a 7–3 lead at the end of the first quarter.
In the second quarter, defensive end Josh Hines-Allen sacked Chargers quarterback Justin Herbert to set a new franchise record with 56 career sacks, breaking Tony Brackens’ longstanding mark. Dicker followed with a 46-yard field goal to pull the Chargers within one, but Jacksonville responded again—this time with a 2-yard touchdown run from Travis Etienne Jr., extending the lead to 14–6 heading into halftime.
Jacksonville Jagaurs Quarterback (#16) Trevor Lawrence celebrating after a run for a touchdown against the Los Angeles Chargers. Photo by Arthur Morgan / Florida National News
Lawrence Extends the Lead After Halftime
Wide receiver Jakobi Meyers, making his first appearance at EverBank Stadium as a Jaguar, surpassed 5,000 career receiving yards early in the third quarter. Later in the drive, quarterback Trevor Lawrence powered into the end zone on a 1-yard keeper, and Little’s extra point pushed the lead to 21–6.
Jacksonville added another score early in the fourth when Lawrence connected with wide receiver Tim Patrick on a 1-yard touchdown pass. On the Chargers’ next drive, Herbert’s first throw was intercepted by safety Antonio Johnson, who returned the ball 44 yards to set up a short field for Jacksonville. Two plays later, Etienne broke free for a 13-yard touchdown to seal the 35–6 victory.
Standout Performances and Salute to Service Tribute
Lawrence finished the game with 153 passing yards, one passing touchdown and one rushing touchdown. Tuten led Jacksonville on the ground with 74 yards and a touchdown, while Meyers led all receivers with 64 yards. Attendance was announced at 58,461.
Sunday’s matchup also marked the Jaguars’ 2025 Salute to Service game, part of the NFL’s 15-year initiative honoring military members, veterans and their families. Since its launch, the league has raised more than $75 million for organizations supporting the military community.
Jacksonville next travels to Arizona to face the Cardinals on Sunday, Nov. 23 at State Farm Stadium. Kickoff is set for 4:05 p.m. The Jaguars then face the Titans before returning home to host the Indianapolis Colts on Dec. 7.
For more coverage, visit www.FloridaNationalNews.com.
Trending
Business3 days agoVISIT FLORIDA: Tourism Generates $133.6 Billion in 2024, Saves Households Nearly $2,000
Central Florida News3 days agoBuccaneers to Induct Simeon Rice Into Ring of Honor During Week 13 Game vs. Cardinals
Florida3 days agoGovernor Ron DeSantis Proposes New Measures to Protect Puppies and Crack Down on Abuse in Florida
World3 days agoDr. Rudolph Moise Aids Jamaica in Hurricane Melissa Relief as Jack Brewer Foundation Launches U.S. Evacuation Mission