DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (FNN SPORTS) – Here’s the quick rundown from this year’s Roar Before The Rolex 24 at DAYTONA:
– Meyer Shank Racing is running a team in an Acura NSX (GT Daytona class, below) sponsored by Caterpilar, with an all female driver lineup. This is only the second time in the history of the Rolex 24 that this has been done.
– 52-year-old Alex Zanardi, former very successful CART/INDY driver who suffered a horrific crash in 2001 and lost both his legs, is making his Rolex 24 debut this year with one of the BMW teams.
– Recently retired Formula One driver Fernando Alonso joins the Wayne Taylor Racing entry this year for the Rolex 24 in the Cadillac DPI after running with United Autosport last year.
Michelin Challenge Series Facts
In the Michelin Challenge Series, which took place on the eve of The Roar Before The Rolex 24:
– Michelin took the mantle as title sponsor this year, replacing Continental Tire, who was title sponsor for the last few years.
– The 718 Cayman GT4 Clubsport debuted this weekend and teams got to take to the track to start dialing it in and experience it.
– Alfa Romeo (above) and Honda (below) debuted their challenge series entries as well.
The Rolex 24 At DAYTONA descends on Daytona International Speedway Saturday, January 26th to Sunday, January 27th.
Brandon Connelly is a sports contributor for Florida National News. | firstname.lastname@example.org