Sports
Osceola Magic Clinch Playoff Berth with Gritty Win 109-105 Over Motor City Cruise
Published
1 year agoon
By
Willie DavidKISSIMMEE, Fla. (FNN SPORTS) – The Osceola Magic (20-12) clinched their second consecutive NBA G League playoff berth with a hard-fought 109-105 victory over the Motor City Cruise (18-15) Wednesday night at Osceola Heritage Park. With this win, the Magic earned their fifth playoff appearance in franchise history, and seeding for the Eastern Conference playoffs, set to begin April 1, is still up for grabs.
McClung, Gardner Power Magic to Victory
Mac McClung carried the Magic to the finish line, posting 26 points on 8-of-19 shooting while adding five assists. Patrick Gardner provided a major spark off the bench, scoring 16 points on 6-of-9 shooting, including a career-high four three-pointers. On the boards, Patrick Gardner grabbed a season-high 13 rebounds, while Myron Gardner matched his career-best with 16 rebounds, dominating the glass against Motor City.
The Cruise had three players post double-doubles in a valiant effort. Bobi Klintman led with 18 points and 11 rebounds, while Daniss Jenkins contributed 18 points and 11 assists. Big man Tolu Smith chipped in with 11 points and a team-high 12 rebounds, but their efforts weren’t enough to overcome Osceola’s late-game execution.
Historic Night for Alex Morales
With his 92nd career game in a Magic uniform, Alex Morales surpassed BJ Johnson for third-most games played in franchise history, further cementing his place in the team’s record books.
What’s Next for the Osceola Magic?
The Magic will wrap up the regular season with a crucial two-game series against the Birmingham Squadron, beginning on Friday, March 28, at 7 p.m. ET. Fans can watch the game on FanDuel Sports Network Florida and NBAGLeague.com.
Adding to the excitement, the team will host Looney Tunes Night, presented by Valencia College. The first 1,000 fans in attendance will receive a Daffy Duck bobblehead, courtesy of Experience Kissimmee.
As the Magic prepare for the postseason, they look to carry their momentum into the playoffs and make a deep run in pursuit of an NBA G League championship.
_______________________________________________________________
J Willie David, III
Florida National News and FNN News Network
Sports@FloridaNationalNews.com
Florida
NASCAR Championship Weekend Returning to Homestead-Miami Speedway in 2027 With $20 Million Renovation
Published
2 hours agoon
August 20, 2026By
FNN SPORTSHomestead-Miami Speedway will host NASCAR’s season-ending championships for a second consecutive year as major facility upgrades reshape the fan experience
HOMESTEAD, Fla. (FNN SPORTS) — NASCAR Championship Weekend will remain in South Florida for 2027, with Homestead-Miami Speedway set to host the sport’s three title-deciding races Nov. 12-14, 2027.
The announcement means Homestead-Miami Speedway will host NASCAR Championship Weekend in consecutive seasons, beginning with its highly anticipated return Nov. 6-8, 2026.
The South Florida track also announced a $20 million renovation project scheduled to open this fall, featuring a redesigned primary entrance, renovated Ally Champions Club, expanded fan zone and other improvements aimed at enhancing the championship-weekend experience.
NASCAR CHAMPIONSHIP WEEKEND STAYS IN SOUTH FLORIDA
The 2027 championship weekend will mark the 20th time Homestead-Miami Speedway has hosted NASCAR’s season-ending championship battles.
Homestead previously served as NASCAR’s championship venue for 18 consecutive seasons from 2002 through 2019.
The finale moved to Phoenix Raceway from 2020 through 2025 before returning to Homestead for the 2026 season.
“The South Florida community is thrilled to once again be the home for NASCAR Championship Weekend in 2026 and 2027, as next year will be the Speedway’s 20th time doing so,” Homestead-Miami Speedway President Guillermo Santa Cruz said.
Santa Cruz said NASCAR’s championship weekend generates significant visibility, economic activity and community engagement while providing an opportunity to showcase South Florida as a destination for major sporting events.
$20 MILLION TRANSFORMATION COMING TO HOMESTEAD-MIAMI SPEEDWAY
Fans arriving for the 2026 championship weekend will be among the first to experience the speedway’s $20 million transformation.
The project includes:
- A new primary gate and redesigned arrival experience
- A comprehensive renovation of the Ally Champions Club
- An expanded fan zone
- Additional food and beverage opportunities
- Upgraded premium hospitality and viewing areas
- Operational and aesthetic improvements throughout the facility
The redesigned main entrance is intended to improve the flow of fans into the speedway while creating a more modern first impression.
The expanded fan zone will provide additional space for interactive attractions, entertainment, sponsor activations and food and beverage options.
NASCAR INVESTS IN HOMESTEAD’S CHAMPIONSHIP FUTURE
NASCAR Chief Operating Officer Ben Kennedy said the investment positions Homestead-Miami Speedway for another era of championship racing.
“Homestead-Miami Speedway has a rich history of delivering some of the most memorable championship moments in our sport, and this investment will ensure the venue is positioned for its next era of championship racing,” Kennedy said.
Kennedy said the improvements are particularly important as NASCAR continues using a rotating model for Championship Weekend.
The investment also signals NASCAR’s continued commitment to the South Florida track as Homestead-Miami Speedway celebrates its 30th season.
ALLY CHAMPIONS CLUB GETS MAJOR UPGRADE
One of the renovation project’s centerpieces will be the transformation of the Ally Champions Club.
The premium hospitality area will feature upgraded amenities, enhanced food and beverage offerings, improved viewing opportunities and a redesigned interior influenced by South Florida and NASCAR championship racing.
“These enhancements will create a more premium and memorable experience for our fans while ensuring we are ready to host NASCAR Championship Weekend at the highest level,” Santa Cruz said.
HOMESTEAD’S CHAMPIONSHIP HISTORY
Homestead-Miami Speedway has played a significant role in NASCAR championship history.
The track’s distinctive 1.5-mile layout and progressive banking have produced memorable title races and championship celebrations.
Among active Cup Series drivers, Brad Keselowski and Joey Logano have captured Cup championships at Homestead, winning their titles in 2012 and 2018, respectively.
Kyle Larson also won at Homestead last season on his way to capturing his second career NASCAR Cup Series championship.
With the championship returning in 2026 and remaining in South Florida for 2027, a new generation of NASCAR drivers will have an opportunity to add their names to Homestead’s championship history.
2027 NASCAR CHAMPIONSHIP WEEKEND SCHEDULE
NASCAR’s three national series will determine their champions during the three-day South Florida weekend:
Friday, Nov. 12, 2027 — NASCAR CRAFTSMAN Truck Series Championship
Saturday, Nov. 13, 2027 — NASCAR O’Reilly Auto Parts Series Championship
Sunday, Nov. 14, 2027 — NASCAR Cup Series Championship
SOUTH FLORIDA BACK IN NASCAR’S CHAMPIONSHIP SPOTLIGHT
Bringing NASCAR Championship Weekend back for consecutive seasons gives Homestead-Miami Speedway another opportunity to establish itself as one of the sport’s premier destination events.
For South Florida, the impact extends beyond the racetrack. Thousands of NASCAR fans traveling to the region can generate business for hotels, restaurants, tourism attractions and other local businesses throughout championship week.
The combination of back-to-back NASCAR Championship Weekends and a $20 million speedway transformation also represents a significant investment in Homestead-Miami Speedway’s future.
After six years away from NASCAR’s season finale, Homestead isn’t simply getting the championship back.
It’s getting ready to host it for years to come.
Sports
U.S. U-19 Men’s National Team Advances to Fifth Straight Concacaf U-20 Championship Final With 2-0 Win Over Costa Rica
Published
1 week agoon
August 10, 2026By
FNN SPORTSMEXICO CITY (FNN SPORTS) — The U.S. Under-19 Men’s National Team advanced to its fifth consecutive Concacaf U-20 Championship final with a 2-0 semifinal victory over Costa Rica on Friday at Estadio Banorte in Mexico City.
Ruben Ramos scored in the 36th minute and captain Christopher Applewhite added the insurance goal in the 76th as the United States continued its run of championship-game appearances dating to 2017.
The Americans finished with a 17-8 advantage in total shots and put seven attempts on goal while limiting Costa Rica to two shots on target.
Ramos Breaks Through in First Half
The United States controlled much of the early action and created several opportunities during the opening 20 minutes.
Forward Jaidyn Contreras repeatedly challenged the Costa Rican defense and delivered dangerous service into the penalty area, helping the Americans generate multiple set-piece opportunities.
The breakthrough finally came in the 36th minute.
Costa Rica defender Emmanuel Brenes attempted to play the ball out of his own half, but U.S. midfielder Alexander Shaw intercepted the pass and directed the ball forward to Ramos.
Ramos advanced into space before firing a right-footed shot from distance. The attempt took a slight deflection off a Costa Rican defender, changing its path and beating goalkeeper Ian O’Rourke to give the United States a 1-0 lead.
The goal was Ramos’ fourth in five tournament matches.
U.S. Defense Protects Lead
The United States continued pressing after halftime.
Ramos nearly scored again in the 59th minute, unleashing a powerful left-footed shot that forced O’Rourke into a two-handed save.
Costa Rica attempted to find an equalizer as the second half progressed, but the American defense held firm.
Colin Guske helped clear a dangerous opportunity before Braden Dunham made a sliding defensive play to eliminate another Costa Rican attack.
Applewhite Adds Insurance Goal
The United States doubled its advantage in the 76th minute following a free kick.
Tristan Brown sent the service into the six-yard box, where Applewhite slid into position and redirected the ball into the net for a 2-0 lead.
The Americans protected the advantage through the final whistle to secure another appearance in the Concacaf championship match.
U.S. Dominates Statistical Battle
The United States finished with seven shots on goal compared with Costa Rica’s two and held a 7-2 advantage in corner kicks.
U.S. goalkeeper William Lodmell made two saves to complete the clean sheet.
Costa Rica goalkeeper O’Rourke finished with five saves.
Both teams were called for nine fouls.
Match Summary
2026 Concacaf U-20 Men’s Championship Semifinal
United States 2, Costa Rica 0
Scoring
- USA — Ruben Ramos (Alexander Shaw), 36th minute
- USA — Christopher Applewhite (Tristan Brown), 76th minute
Shots: USA 17, Costa Rica 8
Shots on goal: USA 7, Costa Rica 2
Corner kicks: USA 7, Costa Rica 2
Saves: USA 2, Costa Rica 5
Fouls: USA 9, Costa Rica 9
U.S. Reaches Fifth Consecutive Final
The victory sent the Americans to their fifth consecutive Concacaf U-20 Championship final and put them in position to compete for another regional title.
The United States entered the championship match seeking its fourth Concacaf U-20 title during its recent run of tournament success.
Florida
Todd Bowles Says Buccaneers’ Newcomers Have Been ‘Breath of Fresh Air’ Ahead of Jets Joint Practices
Published
1 week agoon
August 10, 2026By
FNN SPORTSChris Godwin Jr. is healthier, Ted Hurst III continues to impress and Tampa Bay prepares to test its revamped roster against New York
TAMPA, Fla. (FNN SPORTS) — Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach Todd Bowles says the combination of veteran and rookie additions has brought a noticeable change in leadership, attitude and toughness to the team as Tampa Bay prepares for joint practices with the New York Jets.
Following Sunday’s training camp practice, Bowles praised the impact of the Buccaneers’ offseason additions and said the difference has been significant.
“It’s huge. I mean, it’s night and day with the veterans that came in and with the rookies that have come in, just from a leadership standpoint, an attitude standpoint, a mentality and study habits,” Bowles said.
Bowles specifically mentioned Kenny Gainwell, Alex Anzalone, A’Shawn Robinson, Josiah Trotter, Rueben Bain Jr. and Rakeem Nuñez-Roches among players helping shape the team’s mentality.
“It’s been a breath of fresh air to see, and everybody gravitates toward them,” Bowles said.
Bowles: Chris Godwin Jr. ‘Peaking at the Right Time’
One of the more encouraging developments for Tampa Bay has been the condition of veteran wide receiver Chris Godwin Jr.
Bowles said Godwin enters this stage of camp healthier than he has been in recent years.
“I think he’s healthier right now,” Bowles said. “Years past he’s been hurt the last two [training camps], but he’s a lot healthier right now.”
Bowles praised Godwin’s mental sharpness, toughness and leadership while emphasizing that the veteran remains an important playmaker in both the passing and blocking games.
“I think right now he’s peaking at the right time,” Bowles said.
Ted Hurst III Making His Case
Wide receiver Ted Hurst III also drew attention during Sunday’s practice, particularly for his ability to make contested catches.
“He can go up and get the ball,” Bowles said. “You see it on his college tape as well, and those are good things to see.”
Hurst said he is trying to establish that ability as a defining part of his game.
“[I’m] just trying to be myself and exploit and show that that’s my game, going up, attacking the ball,” Hurst said.
Cornerback Jacob Parrish also singled out Hurst when asked which receivers have challenged him during camp.
“I’ll say Ted Hurst [III] — he had a very good catch on me today, actually,” Parrish said. “He’s a rookie, very tall, good at running, very fast.”
Hurst said his first NFL training camp has reinforced how much attention to detail is required at the professional level.
“These are the best athletes in the world and everything’s detailed,” Hurst said.
Buccaneers Defense Showing New Energy
Parrish said Tampa Bay’s defensive additions have brought a different attitude to the unit.
“I would say it’s just the energy and the guys we brought in,” Parrish said. “They got an edge to them.”
Bowles also praised Parrish’s development, describing him as one of Tampa Bay’s best coverage defenders alongside Zyon McCollum.
“He’s very quick,” Bowles said. “He’s right up there with Zyon as one of our best cover guys, and he can play inside as well, so that makes him very versatile.”
Bowles said Parrish’s improved understanding of the defensive scheme has allowed him to rely on more than his athletic ability entering his second season.
Josiah Trotter Brings Old-School Physicality
Bowles offered a colorful assessment of linebacker Josiah Trotter when asked what distinguishes him from other linebackers he has coached.
“He’s almost like a new-school linebacker in an old-school body,” Bowles said.
The coach said Trotter combines size and athleticism with an aggressive downhill playing style.
“He really knows how to play the game, and he really plays with intent to do serious harm,” Bowles said.
Parrish similarly praised Trotter’s intensity while discussing Tampa Bay’s young defensive players.
Rueben Bain Jr. Impresses Nuñez-Roches
Veteran defensive lineman Rakeem Nuñez-Roches, back with Tampa Bay after spending time with the New York Giants, said he has been impressed with rookie outside linebacker Rueben Bain Jr.’s approach.
“Rueben is impressive,” Nuñez-Roches said. “Just to see him with his poise, the way that he stacks his rushes, his approach to the game, even just the way he watches his film on the sideline in between plays.”
Nuñez-Roches said Bain actively seeks advice on ways to improve between plays.
“I can’t wait to see what he does this season,” Nuñez-Roches said.
Ayden Garnes Continues Development
Bowles also highlighted cornerback Ayden Garnes as a young player showing significant improvement since offseason workouts.
Bowles said Garnes appears to have developed a better understanding of Tampa Bay’s defensive scheme, allowing him to play faster and more consistently.
Hurst also praised Garnes’ preparation and film study.
“Every time I walk around, I see him looking at film or I just see him studying this game and taking it to the field,” Hurst said. “He’s definitely a great competitor.”
Buccaneers Turn Attention to Jets
Tampa Bay’s next test comes against unfamiliar competition as the Buccaneers prepare for joint practices with the New York Jets in New Jersey.
Bowles said practicing against another organization provides an opportunity to evaluate whether Tampa Bay’s players can execute their assignments against a different system.
“Here, it can get a little mundane when you go against the same guy every day,” Bowles said.
The joint practices will also give Tampa Bay coaches an opportunity to evaluate players such as David Walker against outside competition.
Bowles emphasized that the objective is productive football work — not fighting.
“That’s not what we’re going up there for,” Bowles said. “We’re going up there to practice and get better.”
With Tampa Bay moving deeper into its preseason preparations, Bowles said Sunday’s practice provided another sign that the offense and defense are beginning to operate more cohesively.
“We’re functioning better as a unit,” Bowles said, “so that’s the overall picture for both sides of the football going into next week.”
Trending
Florida5 days agoDaisy Morales Seeks Florida Elections Commission Investigation of ActBlue Manager, Former Democratic Party Chair Samuel Vilchez Santiago
Central Florida News2 days agoOrange County Clerk Race Comes Down to Singh, Walton Johnson as Democrats Vote Tuesday
Florida2 days ago‘My Grandfather Was a Communist’: Venezuelan Refugee Samuel Vilchez Santiago Makes History With Florida House Democratic Nomination
Florida2 days agoSamuel Vilchez Santiago vs. Daisy Morales: Defamation Lawsuit, Election Complaints Test HD 43 Electability
Florida3 hours agoAngie Nixon, ‘Freedom Fighter,’ Defeats Establishment Candidate, Wins Democratic Nomination for U.S. Senate