Connect with us

Sports

Quinn returning to lead defense as Cowboys shuffle coaches

Published

on

FRISCO, Texas (AP) — A shuffling of the coaching staff for the Dallas Cowboys won’t include defensive coordinator Dan Quinn, who is returning after another year of receiving interest from teams seeking head coaches.

Coach Mike McCarthy said the club’s decision not to renew the contracts of six members of his staff, including one with deep ties to him in Green Bay, hasn’t affected his relationship with owner/general manager Jerry Jones or the rest of the Dallas front office.

The Cowboys, who finished 13-6, reached the playoffs for a second consecutive season and won a road game in the postseason for the first time in 30 years.

Still, Dallas’ divisional-round losing streak reached seven games, the longest since the 1970 merger, with a 19-12 loss at San Francisco. The Cowboys haven’t advanced to an NFC championship game since the last of the franchise’s five Super Bowl titles to cap the 1995 season.

“As far as my relationship with Jerry, just using his words, we’re in an excellent spot,” McCarthy said Thursday, a few hours after the club’s announcement on the coaches who aren’t returning.

“The partnership that we have, he’s excited about. He told me a number of times this week that he wants me to coach here as long as coach (Tom) Landry did. And I said, ‘OK, that’s a long time.’”

Jones’ first act as owner in 1989 was firing Landry, coach of the Cowboys for the franchise’s first 29 seasons. There’s been chatter about McCarthy’s job security since a losing debut in the pandemic-altered 2020 season.

Jones said the loss to the 49ers didn’t change his outlook with McCarthy, who has always shrugged off talk to the contrary.

“I get to talk to Jerry a lot,” McCarthy said. “So I’ve never, I’ve never felt that. The narrative was externally generated.”

Quinn, who interviewed with Denver, Arizona and Indianapolis, told McCarthy on Thursday he would be back for a third season with the Cowboys. Quinn, who led Atlanta to a Super Bowl as coach, made the same decision after interviewing for jobs last year.

Dallas was the first team since the “Steel Curtain” era of the Pittsburgh Steelers from 1972-74 to lead the NFL in takeaways in consecutive years.

“This is big for us,” McCarthy said. “Gives us continuity with what we accomplished the last two years and build off of that. And just frankly on a personal note, I can’t tell you how thankful I am.”

The future of offensive coordinator Kellen Moore seems less certain. Moore interviewed for the head coaching job with the Panthers, who hired Frank Reich on Thursday.

McCarthy wouldn’t answer a question about whether Moore would be the play-caller in 2023 if he weren’t hired as a head coach elsewhere.

The mostly productive Dallas offense sputtered in each of the playoff losses the past two seasons.

“I really don’t want to play this game today,” McCarthy said. “Kellen Moore, just like the rest of the coaches, will be evaluated. The evaluation, it takes more than one day.”

The coaches who won’t be back include assistant head coach Rob Davis, who spent 10 seasons on McCarthy’s Green Bay staff after finishing his career as the Packers’ long snapper, and senior defensive assistant George Edwards.

The others are offensive line coach and former Miami head coach Joe Philbin, running backs coach Skip Peete, assistant defensive line coach Leon Lett and quality control analyst Kyle Valero.

Edwards was a senior defensive assistant who took a leading role with the linebackers and was praised on Twitter by two-time All-Pro pass rusher Micah Parsons.

Edwards joined the Cowboys when McCarthy was hired in 2020, as did Philbin and Peete. It was Peete’s second stint as Dallas’ running backs coach.

Lett, a two-time Pro Bowl defensive lineman who played on all three Super Bowl-winning Dallas teams in the 1990s, just finished his 12th season on the staff. Valero had been with the Cowboys since 2014.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

U.S. U-19 Men’s National Team Advances to Fifth Straight Concacaf U-20 Championship Final With 2-0 Win Over Costa Rica

Published

on

MEXICO CITY (FNN SPORTS) — The U.S. Under-19 Men’s National Team advanced to its fifth consecutive Concacaf U-20 Championship final with a 2-0 semifinal victory over Costa Rica on Friday at Estadio Banorte in Mexico City.

Ruben Ramos scored in the 36th minute and captain Christopher Applewhite added the insurance goal in the 76th as the United States continued its run of championship-game appearances dating to 2017.

The Americans finished with a 17-8 advantage in total shots and put seven attempts on goal while limiting Costa Rica to two shots on target.

Ramos Breaks Through in First Half

The United States controlled much of the early action and created several opportunities during the opening 20 minutes.

Forward Jaidyn Contreras repeatedly challenged the Costa Rican defense and delivered dangerous service into the penalty area, helping the Americans generate multiple set-piece opportunities.

The breakthrough finally came in the 36th minute.

Costa Rica defender Emmanuel Brenes attempted to play the ball out of his own half, but U.S. midfielder Alexander Shaw intercepted the pass and directed the ball forward to Ramos.

Ramos advanced into space before firing a right-footed shot from distance. The attempt took a slight deflection off a Costa Rican defender, changing its path and beating goalkeeper Ian O’Rourke to give the United States a 1-0 lead.

The goal was Ramos’ fourth in five tournament matches.

U.S. Defense Protects Lead

The United States continued pressing after halftime.

Ramos nearly scored again in the 59th minute, unleashing a powerful left-footed shot that forced O’Rourke into a two-handed save.

Costa Rica attempted to find an equalizer as the second half progressed, but the American defense held firm.

Colin Guske helped clear a dangerous opportunity before Braden Dunham made a sliding defensive play to eliminate another Costa Rican attack.

Applewhite Adds Insurance Goal

The United States doubled its advantage in the 76th minute following a free kick.

Tristan Brown sent the service into the six-yard box, where Applewhite slid into position and redirected the ball into the net for a 2-0 lead.

The Americans protected the advantage through the final whistle to secure another appearance in the Concacaf championship match.

U.S. Dominates Statistical Battle

The United States finished with seven shots on goal compared with Costa Rica’s two and held a 7-2 advantage in corner kicks.

U.S. goalkeeper William Lodmell made two saves to complete the clean sheet.

Costa Rica goalkeeper O’Rourke finished with five saves.

Both teams were called for nine fouls.

Match Summary

2026 Concacaf U-20 Men’s Championship Semifinal
United States 2, Costa Rica 0

Scoring

  • USA — Ruben Ramos (Alexander Shaw), 36th minute
  • USA — Christopher Applewhite (Tristan Brown), 76th minute

Shots: USA 17, Costa Rica 8
Shots on goal: USA 7, Costa Rica 2
Corner kicks: USA 7, Costa Rica 2
Saves: USA 2, Costa Rica 5
Fouls: USA 9, Costa Rica 9

U.S. Reaches Fifth Consecutive Final

The victory sent the Americans to their fifth consecutive Concacaf U-20 Championship final and put them in position to compete for another regional title.

The United States entered the championship match seeking its fourth Concacaf U-20 title during its recent run of tournament success.

Continue Reading

Florida

Todd Bowles Says Buccaneers’ Newcomers Have Been ‘Breath of Fresh Air’ Ahead of Jets Joint Practices

Published

on

Chris Godwin Jr. is healthier, Ted Hurst III continues to impress and Tampa Bay prepares to test its revamped roster against New York

TAMPA, Fla. (FNN SPORTS) — Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach Todd Bowles says the combination of veteran and rookie additions has brought a noticeable change in leadership, attitude and toughness to the team as Tampa Bay prepares for joint practices with the New York Jets.

Following Sunday’s training camp practice, Bowles praised the impact of the Buccaneers’ offseason additions and said the difference has been significant.

“It’s huge. I mean, it’s night and day with the veterans that came in and with the rookies that have come in, just from a leadership standpoint, an attitude standpoint, a mentality and study habits,” Bowles said.

Bowles specifically mentioned Kenny Gainwell, Alex Anzalone, A’Shawn Robinson, Josiah Trotter, Rueben Bain Jr. and Rakeem Nuñez-Roches among players helping shape the team’s mentality.

“It’s been a breath of fresh air to see, and everybody gravitates toward them,” Bowles said.

Bowles: Chris Godwin Jr. ‘Peaking at the Right Time’

One of the more encouraging developments for Tampa Bay has been the condition of veteran wide receiver Chris Godwin Jr.

Bowles said Godwin enters this stage of camp healthier than he has been in recent years.

“I think he’s healthier right now,” Bowles said. “Years past he’s been hurt the last two [training camps], but he’s a lot healthier right now.”

Bowles praised Godwin’s mental sharpness, toughness and leadership while emphasizing that the veteran remains an important playmaker in both the passing and blocking games.

“I think right now he’s peaking at the right time,” Bowles said.

Ted Hurst III Making His Case

Wide receiver Ted Hurst III also drew attention during Sunday’s practice, particularly for his ability to make contested catches.

“He can go up and get the ball,” Bowles said. “You see it on his college tape as well, and those are good things to see.”

Hurst said he is trying to establish that ability as a defining part of his game.

[I’m] just trying to be myself and exploit and show that that’s my game, going up, attacking the ball,” Hurst said.

Cornerback Jacob Parrish also singled out Hurst when asked which receivers have challenged him during camp.

“I’ll say Ted Hurst [III] — he had a very good catch on me today, actually,” Parrish said. “He’s a rookie, very tall, good at running, very fast.”

Hurst said his first NFL training camp has reinforced how much attention to detail is required at the professional level.

“These are the best athletes in the world and everything’s detailed,” Hurst said.

Buccaneers Defense Showing New Energy

Parrish said Tampa Bay’s defensive additions have brought a different attitude to the unit.

“I would say it’s just the energy and the guys we brought in,” Parrish said. “They got an edge to them.”

Bowles also praised Parrish’s development, describing him as one of Tampa Bay’s best coverage defenders alongside Zyon McCollum.

“He’s very quick,” Bowles said. “He’s right up there with Zyon as one of our best cover guys, and he can play inside as well, so that makes him very versatile.”

Bowles said Parrish’s improved understanding of the defensive scheme has allowed him to rely on more than his athletic ability entering his second season.

Josiah Trotter Brings Old-School Physicality

Bowles offered a colorful assessment of linebacker Josiah Trotter when asked what distinguishes him from other linebackers he has coached.

“He’s almost like a new-school linebacker in an old-school body,” Bowles said.

The coach said Trotter combines size and athleticism with an aggressive downhill playing style.

“He really knows how to play the game, and he really plays with intent to do serious harm,” Bowles said.

Parrish similarly praised Trotter’s intensity while discussing Tampa Bay’s young defensive players.

Rueben Bain Jr. Impresses Nuñez-Roches

Veteran defensive lineman Rakeem Nuñez-Roches, back with Tampa Bay after spending time with the New York Giants, said he has been impressed with rookie outside linebacker Rueben Bain Jr.’s approach.

“Rueben is impressive,” Nuñez-Roches said. “Just to see him with his poise, the way that he stacks his rushes, his approach to the game, even just the way he watches his film on the sideline in between plays.”

Nuñez-Roches said Bain actively seeks advice on ways to improve between plays.

“I can’t wait to see what he does this season,” Nuñez-Roches said.

Ayden Garnes Continues Development

Bowles also highlighted cornerback Ayden Garnes as a young player showing significant improvement since offseason workouts.

Bowles said Garnes appears to have developed a better understanding of Tampa Bay’s defensive scheme, allowing him to play faster and more consistently.

Hurst also praised Garnes’ preparation and film study.

“Every time I walk around, I see him looking at film or I just see him studying this game and taking it to the field,” Hurst said. “He’s definitely a great competitor.”

Buccaneers Turn Attention to Jets

Tampa Bay’s next test comes against unfamiliar competition as the Buccaneers prepare for joint practices with the New York Jets in New Jersey.

Bowles said practicing against another organization provides an opportunity to evaluate whether Tampa Bay’s players can execute their assignments against a different system.

“Here, it can get a little mundane when you go against the same guy every day,” Bowles said.

The joint practices will also give Tampa Bay coaches an opportunity to evaluate players such as David Walker against outside competition.

Bowles emphasized that the objective is productive football work — not fighting.

“That’s not what we’re going up there for,” Bowles said. “We’re going up there to practice and get better.”

With Tampa Bay moving deeper into its preseason preparations, Bowles said Sunday’s practice provided another sign that the offense and defense are beginning to operate more cohesively.

“We’re functioning better as a unit,” Bowles said, “so that’s the overall picture for both sides of the football going into next week.”

Continue Reading

Sports

McCumbee McAleer Racing Parts Ways With Nate Cicero, New Driver Announcement Coming

Published

on

McCumbee McAleer Racing says Nate Cicero is no longer associated with the organization in any capacity and plans to announce a new driver in the coming days.

(FNN SPORTS) — McCumbee McAleer Racing has ended its relationship with Nate Cicero, effective immediately, the organization announced in an official statement.

“We are disappointed to announce that our relationship with Nate Cicero has come to an end. Effective immediately, Nate is no longer associated with MMR in any capacity. We will have no further comment on the topic,” the team said.

MMR Provides No Details on Cicero’s Departure

McCumbee McAleer Racing did not disclose what led to the decision and indicated it does not plan to provide additional comment on the matter.

The announcement marks an immediate change for the racing organization as it looks ahead to its next driver lineup.

Team Says Focus Is on Moving Forward

Despite the change, MMR said it remains focused on its racing program and the organization’s future.

“We remain focused on moving forward and continuing to build on MMR’s goals and success,” the team said.

New Driver Announcement Expected

McCumbee McAleer Racing said fans will not have to wait long to learn who will join the team next.

“As we look to our future, we will be making a driver announcement in the coming days,” MMR said.

The team did not identify the incoming driver or provide a specific date for the announcement.

FNN Sports will continue to follow developments and provide updates when McCumbee McAleer Racing announces its new driver.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement Ticket Time Machine ad
Advertisement Orlando Regional REALTOR Association logo
Advertisement Parts Pass App
Advertisement Hispanic Chamber of Commerce of Metro Orlando
Advertisement
Advertisement African American Chamber of Commerce of Central Florida
Advertisement FNN News en Español
Advertisement Indian American Chamber of Commerce logo
Advertisement Florida Sports Channel

FNN Newsletter

Trending