Connect with us

Entertainment

CBS denies former CEO Les Moonves $120 million severance

Published

on

NEW YORK (AP) — CBS announced Monday that former CEO Les Moonves will not receive his $120 million severance package after the board of directors concluded he violated company policy and was uncooperative with an investigation into sexual misconduct allegations.

The decision, which came after a five-month outside investigation, capped the downfall of one of television’s most influential figures, the biggest entertainment powerbroker to see his career derailed amid the #MeToo movement against sexual misconduct.

A lawyer for Moonves said the board’s conclusion “are without merit” but did not say whether the former CEO would challenge it in arbitration.

Moonves was ousted in September after allegations from women who said he subjected them to mistreatment including forced oral sex, groping and retaliation if they resisted.

“This is an important reminder that harassment happens everywhere, and that in this moment, even someone who has been perceived as untouchable will be held accountable,” said Fatima Goss Graves, a co-founder of the Time’s Up Legal Defense Fund, which provides legal assistance to victims of assault, harassment or abuse. “I hope other corporations are learning that lesson.”

New York-based CBS Corp. said at the time of Moonves’ departure that it had set aside $120 million in severance for him but warned that he would not get the money if the board concluded it had cause to terminate him.

“We have determined that there are grounds to terminate for cause, including his willful and material misfeasance, violation of company policies and breach of his employment contract, as well as his willful failure to cooperate fully with the company’s investigation,” the CBS said in a statement.

The board did not provide details. Earlier this month, The New York Times said a draft report from the outside investigation found that Moonves deleted numerous text messages and was “evasive and untruthful at times.”

Andrew Levander, an attorney for Moonves, said his client “vehemently denies any non-consensual sexual relations and cooperated extensively and fully with investigators.”

“Consistent with the pattern of leaks that have permeated this ‘process,’ the press was informed of these baseless conclusions before Mr. Moonves, further damaging his name, reputation, career and legacy,” Levander said.

Moonves had been widely admired for turning around the fortunes of CBS when he took over as entertainment chief in 1995 with hits as “Two and a Half Men” and “Survivor.” He was also one of the highest-paid executives in the nation, making about $70 million in each of the past two years.

Attorney Gloria Allred, who represents four women who have accused Moonves of misconduct, called on CBS to publicly release the details of the investigators’ findings and compensate those with provable misconduct claims.

“The public has a right to know who at CBS was aware of Mr. Moonves’ alleged misconduct and when they knew of it,” said Allred, whose clients all spoke to the investigators. “Instead of keeping this money and rewarding their corporation for Mr. Moonves’ alleged misconduct, they should share these many millions with those who can prove that they are victims.”

Three major figures at CBS have lost their jobs over misconduct allegations: Moonves, “60 Minutes” top executive Jeff Fager, and news anchor Charlie Rose.

Last week, CBS acknowledged that it reached a $9.5 million confidential settlement last year with actress Eliza Dushku, who said she was written off the show “Bull” in March 2017 after complaining about on-set sexual comments from its star, Michael Weatherly.

The board said the investigation, which was conducted by two outside law firms, “concluded that harassment and retaliation are not pervasive at CBS.”

Still, the board said investigators “learned of past incidents of improper and unprofessional conduct” and that CBS has not placed a “high institutional priority on preventing harassment and retaliation.”

The 11-member board, which includes six new members who came aboard during a shake-up following Moonves’ ouster, said it has “already begun to take robust steps to improve the working environment for all employees.”

In a move criticized by women’s rights activists, CBS had previously said Moonves would stay on as an adviser for up to two years, providing him with office and security services. The board did not say whether that decision remained in effect.

CBS declined to comment beyond its statement.

Last week, the CBS revealed a list of 18 women’s rights organizations that would receive $20 million donations with funds the company had previously said would be deducted from Moonves’ severance.

The groups, which included Time’s Up, praised the donations but called on CBS to publicly disclose the results of the Moonves investigation. It was unclear if CBS would do so.

Some activists involved in the #MeToo movement have praised CBS for hiring outside legal firms to conduct the investigation, a decision that contrasted with NBC’s handling of sexual misconduct allegations against Matt Lauer, who was fired last year as host of the “Today” show host. NBC’s investigation, which was overseen by the company’s general counsel, concluded that there was no culture of harassment at the news division.

A search for a new CEO is ongoing to replace interim CEO Joe Ianniello. Strauss Zelnick, filling Moonves’ role as board chairman on an interim basis, said at a shareholders’ meeting last week that a recruiting firm has been hired to conduct the search and that a decision will be made in due course.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Central Florida News

FNN Honors Teen Reporter Isabella Schmitt as She Graduates and Pursues Communications Degree

Published

on

ORLANDO, Fla. (FNN) — Florida National News proudly celebrates Isabella Schmitt as she marks an important milestone with her high school graduation and prepares to begin an exciting new chapter pursuing Communications in college.

Over the years, Isabella has represented the next generation of young voices with professionalism, creativity, determination, and passion.

Through reporting opportunities, community involvement, and media experiences, she has continued to shine both on and off camera while inspiring others through her dedication and work ethic.

Jenny Rosario, Vice President of Florida National News, praised Isabella’s accomplishments and bright future ahead.

“Watching Isabella grow both personally and professionally has been truly inspiring,” Rosario said. “She represents the future of journalism, communications, and storytelling. Her passion, confidence, and commitment to making a positive impact through media are remarkable, and we are incredibly proud of all she has accomplished.”

Rosario added that Isabella’s decision to pursue Communications in college is a natural next step for someone with such strong talent and determination.

“The world of media and communications needs more young voices like Isabella’s,” Rosario said. “We know this is only the beginning of many great accomplishments to come.”

Florida National News congratulates Isabella Schmitt and the entire Class of 2026 on this exciting achievement.

“Keep dreaming big and telling stories that matter,” Rosario added.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

How Orlando International Fashion Week Builds Confidence: A Belonging-Driven Casting Experience

Published

on

By Dr. Jessica Henlon | Education Contributor for Florida National News

At Orlando International Fashion Week (OIFW), the runway does not begin on show day. It begins at casting.

Over two weekends this April, OIFW welcomed hundreds of aspiring and experienced models to CityArts Gallery in Downtown Orlando for official casting calls ahead of the June 6 runway shows. What unfolded was more than an audition process. It was a carefully designed experience rooted in a powerful truth: when people feel seen, supported, and welcomed, they are more likely to show up with confidence.

From first-time participants to returning talent, families, creatives, and industry professionals, the casting experience reflected what makes OIFW different. It was not just about selecting models. It was about creating a space where people felt confident enough to try.

Belonging First, Performance Second

In educational psychology, belonging is not a soft concept. It is a driver of motivation, persistence, and self-efficacy. Research in postsecondary education has consistently linked students’ sense of belonging to academic outcomes, engagement, and persistence (Fong et al., 2024; Gopalan & Brady, 2020). While OIFW is not a classroom, the same human principles apply. People perform differently when they feel safe, valued, and connected.

This also aligns with my doctoral research on online first-generation college students. In that study, participants described virtual extracurricular activities as affirming spaces that supported leadership development, motivation, self-efficacy, and belonging (Henlon, 2025). The findings affirmed that engagement spaces are not “extra.” They can be essential to how people build identity, confidence, and persistence.

OIFW reflects this same principle in a creative industry setting. People come back because of how they are treated.

Designing a Confidence-Building Experience

The atmosphere inside CityArts Gallery was intentional.

Models of all ages and backgrounds moved through the casting process in a space that felt structured, supportive, and human. Team members gave clear direction, answered questions, and offered encouragement in real time. Families felt comfortable. First-time participants felt included. Returning models felt valued.

Those details matter.

Social Cognitive Theory suggests that individuals build confidence through observation, encouragement, and successful participation in meaningful environments (Bandura, 1986). When a model sees others walk, receive feedback, and try again, the room becomes a learning space. Confidence is not simply demanded. It is modeled, practiced, and reinforced.

That approach also connects to the modeling and fashion curriculum I developed for youth and emerging talent, where self-esteem, work ethic, body language, preparation, and reflection were built directly into the learning experience. The curriculum framed self-esteem as confidence in one’s own worth and abilities, while encouraging participants to celebrate success, develop talents, practice positive self-talk, and treat themselves well. That same foundation was visible at casting: confidence grows when people are given structure, encouragement, and room to develop.

A Creative Ecosystem in Motion

Casting weekends brought together more than models.

Photographers, videographers, designers, media professionals, artists, families, and community members shared the same creative space. More than 20 photographers and videographers were present capturing content, building portfolios, and documenting the energy of the experience. Florida National News was also on-site, conducting interviews and helping tell the story of the event.

This kind of creative ecosystem matters because learning and confidence often grow through participation, not observation alone. Research on connected arts learning emphasizes the importance of linking creative practice to supportive relationships, cultural relevance, and opportunity pathways (Peppler et al., 2022). In other words, creative spaces become more powerful when they connect people to each other and to what comes next.

At OIFW, casting is not hidden behind closed doors. It is visible, collaborative, and alive. This is where relationships are built.

Inclusion as Strategy, Not Statement

OIFW continues to prioritize an inclusive casting approach that welcomes models across ages, sizes, backgrounds, and experience levels. This is more than a value statement. It is part of the structure.

Research on organized activities shows that participation in supportive group settings can help young people build social capital, strengthen relationships, and develop confidence through meaningful interaction (Boat et al., 2024). Similarly, studies of extracurricular activities have found that participation can strengthen self-efficacy, identity, and skill development when activities are structured with purpose and support (Griffiths et al., 2021).

That is why inclusive casting matters. When a young person, a first-time model, or a returning participant sees a range of people welcomed into the process, the message is clear: there is room for you here.

For families, this creates trust.
For designers, it creates range.
For sponsors and media, it tells a deeper story.
For participants, it builds confidence.

Safety, Structure, and Trust

With a strong presence of youth participants, OIFW maintains clear expectations around professionalism, age-appropriate presentation, and safety. Families can trust that the environment is monitored, structured, and designed with care.

That trust is part of why participants return season after season.

In youth development research, positive experiences in organized activities are strongest when young people experience supportive relationships, clear expectations, and opportunities to build skills (Boat et al., 2024; Heath et al., 2022). OIFW’s casting model reflects that kind of intentional design. The goal is not only to prepare people for the runway. It is to help them feel prepared to step into the room.

More Than a Casting Call

What happened over these two weekends was not only about who made the runway.

It was about creating a space where people felt confident enough to try, supported enough to grow, and inspired enough to return. It was about helping participants move from nervousness to possibility. It was about making sure that the first step toward the runway felt welcoming, not intimidating.

Creative participation can support well-being, identity development, and self-expression, especially when the environment is inclusive and relational (Mak & Fancourt, 2019; Peppler et al., 2022). OIFW’s casting experience shows how arts and fashion spaces can function as confidence-building environments when they are designed with care.

That is the OIFW difference.

Confidence is not built through pressure alone. It is built through belonging, visibility, preparation, and meaningful interaction.

Looking Ahead

Orlando International Fashion Week continues to build toward its summer season:

May 16, 2026: Avant Garde Showcase at Orlando Fringe Festival
June 5, 2026: VIP Mixer at Morse Code Lounge
June 6, 2026: “626 Euphoria” Runway Shows at Winter Park Events Center

Tickets are available at www.OIFW.org.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

160+ Bands, 5 Stages: Welcome To Rockville Returns to Daytona International Speedway May 7–10 with Expanded Fan Experience

Published

on

160+ Bands, 5 Stages: Welcome To Rockville Returns to Daytona International Speedway May 7–10 with Expanded Fan Experience

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (FNN) — Music set times have been released for the 15th anniversary of Welcome To Rockville, Florida’s largest rock, metal and punk festival, set for May 7–10, 2026 at Daytona International Speedway.

Produced by Danny Wimmer Presents, the four-day event will feature more than 160 bands performing across five stages, marking the festival’s largest lineup to date.

HEADLINERS AND DAILY LINEUP

This year’s festival will be headlined by Foo Fighters, My Chemical Romance, Guns N’ Roses and Bring Me The Horizon.

  • Thursday, May 7: Guns N’ Roses, Five Finger Death Punch, Godsmack, Staind
  • Friday, May 8: Foo Fighters, Turnstile, The Offspring, Parkway Drive
  • Saturday, May 9: Bring Me The Horizon, Breaking Benjamin, Motionless in White, Lamb of God
  • Sunday, May 10: My Chemical Romance, A Day To Remember, Rise Against, Yellowcard

FESTIVAL EXPANSION AND NEW FEATURES

Organizers announced several enhancements for 2026 aimed at improving the fan experience. A new “Pit Stop” fan zone near the Apex Stage will feature artist interviews, special performances and interactive experiences.

In addition, the Garage Stage will be fully tented for the first time, offering expanded shade coverage and upgraded production for attendees.

SPECIAL EVENTS AND EXPERIENCES

Festivalgoers can kick off the week with a pre-party on May 6 featuring performances by Fuel, Local H and others.

A new crossover event, “Blood4Blood,” will also take place at the Ocean Center, combining live music with bare-knuckle fighting, including a headline bout featuring Alex Terrible of Slaughter to Prevail.

TICKETS, ACCESS AND ATTENDANCE

Festival gates will open daily at 11:30 a.m. Organizers are offering a range of ticket options, including single-day, weekend, VIP and camping packages. A new Camp to Coast shuttle will provide transportation between the speedway and nearby beaches.

With expanded attractions, including rides, themed bars and interactive zones, Welcome To Rockville 2026 is expected to draw tens of thousands of fans to Daytona Beach, reinforcing its role as a major driver of Florida’s tourism and live entertainment economy.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement Ticket Time Machine ad
Advertisement Orlando Regional REALTOR Association logo
Advertisement Parts Pass App
Advertisement Hispanic Chamber of Commerce of Metro Orlando
Advertisement
Advertisement African American Chamber of Commerce of Central Florida
Advertisement FNN News en Español
Advertisement Indian American Chamber of Commerce logo
Advertisement Florida Sports Channel

FNN Newsletter

Trending