Entertainment
De La Soul co-founder Trugoy the Dove dead at 54
Published
4 years agoon
NEW YORK, N.Y. (AP) — David Jude Jolicoeur, known widely as Trugoy the Dove and one of the founding members of the Long Island hip-hop trio De La Soul, has died. He was 54.
His representative Tony Ferguson confirmed the reports Sunday. No other information was immediately available.
In recent years, Jolicoeur, had said he was battling congestive heart failure and wore a LifeVest defibrillator machine. De La Soul was part of the hip-hop tribute at the Grammy Awards last week, but Trugoy was not onstage with his fellow bandmates.
Tributes poured in on social media shortly after the news broke Sunday.
“Dave! It was a honor to share so many stages with you,” wrote rapper Big Daddy Kane on Instagram.
Rapper Erick Sermon posted on Instagram that “This one hurts. From Long Island from one of the best rap groups in Hiphop # Delasoul #plug2 Dave has passed away you will be missed… RIP.”
Young Guru added, “Rest in peace my brother. You were loved. @plugwondelasoul I love you brother we are here for you. Smiles I love you bro. This is crazy” and DJ Semtex wrote that it was “heart wrenching news.”
“Luke Cage” showrunner and hip-hop journalist Cheo Hodari Coker wrote on Twitter that, “You don’t understand what De La Soul means to me. Their existence said to me, a black geek from Connecticut that yes, hip-hop belongs to you too, and Trugoy was the balance, McCartney to Pos Lennon, Keith to his Mick. This is a huge loss.”
Jolicoeur was born in Brooklyn but raised in the Amityville area of Long Island, where he met Vincent Mason (Pasemaster Mase) and Kelvin Mercer (Posdnuos) and the three decided to form a rap group, with each taking on distinctive names. Trugoy, Jolicoeur said, was backwards for “yogurt.” More recently he’d been going by Dave.
De La Soul’s debut studio album “3 Feet High and Rising,” produced by Prince Paul, was released in 1989 by Tommy Boy Records and praised for being a more light-hearted and positive counterpart to more charged rap offerings like N.W.A’s “Straight Outta Compton” and Public Enemy’s “It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back” released just one year prior.
Sampling everyone from Johnny Cash and Steely Dan to Hall & Oates, De La Soul signaled the beginning of alternative hip-hop. In Rolling Stone, critic Michael Azerrad called it the first “psychedelic hip-hop record.” Some even called them a hippie group, though the members didn’t quite like that.
In 2010, “3 Feet High and Rising” was added to the National Recording Registry by the Library of Congress for its historic significance.
“It’s a hip-hop masterpiece for the era in which it was released,” Jolicoeur told Billboard earlier this year. “I think the element of that time of what was taking place in music, hip-hop, and our culture, I think it welcomed that and opened up minds and spirits to see and try new different things. … I think the innocence that we had back then was brave, but we were in a time where innocence was so cool. Not sampling James Brown, but sampling Liberace; I think it was shocking (when) we came out (that) we sampled Liberace. I don’t know if it’d impact the same way (now).”
They followed with “De La Soul Is Dead,” in 1991, which was a bit darker and more divisive with critics, and “Buhloone Mindstate” and “Stakes is High,” in 1993 and 1996 respectively.
De La Soul released eight albums overall and in March were going to make their streaming service debut, on Spotify, Apple Music and others after a long battle with Tommy Boy Records about legal and publishing matters. The 2021 acquisition of Tommy Boy Records by Reservoir, with masters from the likes of De La Soul, Queen Latifah and Naughty By Nature, helped move things along and the full catalog was set to debut on March 3.
“You think that you own your stuff and that now it’s on cruise control, waiting for the checks to come in. But it is not that way at all. There’s a lot to do,” Jolicoeur told Billboard. “You do need collaborators, you do need help, you do need to rework back into the system and not necessarily be the lone commissioner of this project. You need allies, you need companies to work with, you need people to hire, and we learned a big lesson from that. It definitely wasn’t just, “We got our masters back!” It ain’t that.”
Over the years, the group was nominated for six Grammy Awards, winning one for Best Pop Vocal Collaboration for the Gorillaz song “Feel Good Inc.”
During the pandemic, he said, there were talks of solo albums and branching out — which weren’t new.
“We support each other in those ideas, but at the same time, I think the magic really happens when it’s the three of us,” he said. “I’m not trying to crack that formula, and I don’t think anyone else is, either.”
Asked what advice he would give to groups about how to stay together, he said you have to fight, but remember you’re fighting for the team.
“Sometimes it’s about money, but then there’s an element of: We don’t get along because we haven’t been honest with each other. Get through that honesty, move on, and keep going — because it feels good going. Fight it out, get it all out, and come back knowing that you’re fighting for the team,” he said.
Entertainment
‘SPAMALOT’ Joins Dr. Phillips Center’s 2026-27 Broadway in Orlando Season
Published
6 days agoon
August 10, 2026Tony Award-winning musical will play Walt Disney Theater Nov. 3-5, 2026
ORLANDO, Fla. (FNN NEWS) — Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts is expanding its 2026-27 Broadway in Orlando season with the addition of SPAMALOT, the Tony Award-winning Best Musical, scheduled for Nov. 3-5, 2026, at Walt Disney Theater.
Inspired by the classic comedy Monty Python and the Holy Grail, SPAMALOT brings Monty Python’s distinctly British humor to the stage through a comedic adventure following King Arthur and his quest for the Holy Grail.
The production comes to Orlando following a celebrated 2023 Broadway revival at the St. James Theatre, directed and choreographed by Josh Rhodes.
Monty Python Comedy Comes to Orlando
Described as “lovingly ripped” from Monty Python and the Holy Grail, the musical features British royalty, flying cows, dancing girls, shrubbery and the Lady of the Lake.
The 14-time Tony Award-nominated musical features well-known numbers including “Always Look on the Bright Side of Life,” “The Song That Goes Like This” and “Find Your Grail.”
SPAMALOT features a book and lyrics by Eric Idle, with music by John Du Prez and Idle.
Cast Announced for Orlando Production
The cast features Major Attaway, whose credits include Aladdin, as King Arthur; Sean Bell (Harmony) as Sir Robin; Chris Collins-Pisano (Forbidden Broadway) as Sir Lancelot; Ellis C. Dawson III (Hamilton) as Sir Bedevere; Leo Roberts (Les Misérables) as Sir Galahad; Amanda Robles as the Lady of the Lake; Blake Segal (Mary Poppins) as Patsy; and Steven Telsey (The Book of Mormon) as the Historian and Prince Herbert.
The company also includes Lindsay Lee Alhady, Delaney Benson, Jack Brewer, Connor Coughlin, L’ogan J’ones, Graham Keen, Claire Kennard, Ben Lanham, Nathaniel Mahone, Maddie Mossner, Emilie Renier, Mark Tran Russ and Meridien Terrell.
Creative Team
The production’s creative team includes scenic and projection designer Paul Tate dePoo III, costume designer Jen Caprio, lighting designer Cory Pattak, sound designers Kai Harada and Haley Parcher, and wig designer Tom Watson.
John Bell serves as music supervisor, with Jonathan Gorst as musical director and conductor.
Derek Kolluri is associate director, Michael Fatica is associate choreographer and casting is by Geoff Josselson, CSA. RCI Theatricals serves as general manager, and Jeffrey Finn is the producer.
Tickets on Sale Now
Single tickets for SPAMALOT are on sale now through Dr. Phillips Center.
Performances: Nov. 3-5, 2026
Venue: Walt Disney Theater at Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts
Location: Orlando, Florida
Tickets and additional information are available through the Dr. Phillips Center website.
Central Florida News
Dr. Phillips Center Generates $227.6 Million Annual Economic Impact, Supports Nearly 2,500 Central Florida Jobs
Published
2 weeks agoon
July 30, 2026ORLANDO, Fla. (FNN NEWS) — The Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts generated $227.6 million in annual economic impact, supporting 2,483 jobs and producing $13.2 million in state and local tax revenue, according to a newly released independent study by Tourism Economics.
The analysis, conducted by Tourism Economics, an Oxford Economics company specializing in economic impact and tourism research, measured the direct, indirect and induced economic activity generated by the arts center’s operations, performances, visitors and related spending throughout Central Florida.
The findings underscore the Dr. Phillips Center’s role as both a premier performing arts destination and a major contributor to the region’s economy.
“For more than a decade, we’ve seen firsthand how the arts inspire people, bring communities together and create lasting value,” said Kathy Ramsberger, president and CEO of Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts. “This study confirms that our impact reaches far beyond our stages—supporting thousands of jobs, driving business growth, attracting visitors from around the world and helping position Central Florida as a more vibrant, competitive and connected region.”
Economic Impact by the Numbers
According to the Tourism Economics report, the Dr. Phillips Center generated:
- $227.6 million in annual economic output
- 2,483 jobs supported across Central Florida
- $70.8 million in total labor income in Orange County
- $13.2 million in state and local tax revenue
- $73.1 million in off-site spending by event attendees, performers and production crews
- 61,600 hotel room nights generated annually
The study highlights the ripple effect created by visitors attending performances, benefiting nearby hotels, restaurants, retailers and other local businesses.
A Global Destination for Arts and Entertainment
Now in its 11th year, the Dr. Phillips Center welcomes more than 910,000 guests annually, attracting visitors from all 50 states and more than 80 countries.
Since opening in 2014, the venue has hosted:
- More than 6.2 million guests
- More than 6,200 performances and events
- Programming presented 99% of the year
- Venue occupancy rates ranging from 82% to 97%
The center has become one of the world’s busiest performing arts destinations while helping position downtown Orlando as a leading hub for arts, culture and entertainment.
Community Investment Beyond the Stage
In addition to its economic impact, the Dr. Phillips Center continues investing in arts education, community outreach and cultural programming throughout Central Florida.
According to the organization, it has:
- Served 935,920 students and community participants
- Supported and hosted 202 regional arts organizations
- Received support from 24,085 donors
- Benefited from $256 million in philanthropic contributions since its inception
Through partnerships with schools, nonprofit organizations, community groups and touring productions, the center continues to expand access to the performing arts while strengthening the region’s cultural and economic vitality.
Looking Ahead
Eleven years after opening, the Dr. Phillips Center continues to demonstrate that investment in arts and culture produces measurable returns through tourism, employment, education and community engagement.
As Central Florida continues to grow, the independent analysis reinforces the performing arts center’s importance as both a cultural landmark and an economic engine for the region.
Additional information about the economic impact study is available through the Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts.
Entertainment
Blue Man Group Orlando Launches $25 Kids Ticket Offer at ICON Park Through Dec. 31
Published
1 month agoon
July 6, 2026ORLANDO, Fla. (FNN NEWS) — Families can enjoy Blue Man Group Orlando for less this summer and fall thanks to a new ticket promotion that allows children to attend performances for $25 with the purchase of a full-priced adult ticket.
The limited-time offer is available for online purchases through Dec. 31, 2026, making one of Orlando’s newest live entertainment attractions more affordable for families.
Special Kids Ticket Offer
Under the promotion, guests who purchase a full-priced adult ticket may purchase a children’s ticket for $25.
The offer is valid for performances:
- Monday through Thursday
- Fridays at 5 p.m.
The promotion is not valid for:
- Saturday performances
- Sunday performances
- Fridays at 8 p.m.
New Orlando Production at ICON Park
Blue Man Group opened its new resident production at ICON Park in May inside a custom-built theater located along Orlando’s International Drive entertainment district.
The production blends music, comedy, technology and audience participation, while featuring many of the signature moments fans expect from Blue Man Group alongside new material created exclusively for the Orlando production.
Global Entertainment Phenomenon
Since debuting in 1991 at New York’s Astor Place Theatre, Blue Man Group has entertained more than 50 million people worldwide through resident productions and international tours.
The show continues to expand with performances in Orlando, Las Vegas, touring productions across North America and an upcoming tour in Japan.
Blue Man Group is owned and operated by Cirque du Soleil Entertainment Group.