Entertainment
Tom Sizemore, ‘Saving Private Ryan’ actor, dies at 61
Published
3 years agoon
BURBANK, Calif. (AP) — Tom Sizemore, the “Saving Private Ryan” actor whose bright 1990s star burned out under the weight of his own domestic violence and drug convictions, died Friday at age 61.
The actor had suffered a brain aneurysm on Feb. 18 at his home in Los Angeles. He died in his sleep Friday at a hospital in Burbank, California, his manager Charles Lago said.
Sizemore became a star with acclaimed appearances in “Natural Born Killers” and the cult-classic crime thriller “Heat.” But serious substance dependency, abuse allegations and multiple run-ins with the law devastated his career, left him homeless and sent him to jail.
As the global #MeToo movement wave crested in late 2017, Sizemore was also accused of groping an 11-year-old Utah girl on set in 2003. He called the allegations “highly disturbing,” saying he would never inappropriately touch a child. Charges were not filed.
Despite the raft of legal trouble, Sizemore had scores of steady film and television credits — though his career never regained its onetime momentum. Aside from “Black Hawk Down” and “Pearl Harbor,” most of his 21st century roles came in low-budget, little-seen productions where he continued to play the gruff, tough guys he became famous for portraying.
“I was a guy who’d come from very little and risen to the top. I’d had the multimillion-dollar house, the Porsche, the restaurant I partially owned with Robert De Niro,” the Detroit-born Sizemore wrote in his 2013 memoir, “By Some Miracle I Made It Out of There.” “And now I had absolutely nothing.”
The book’s title was taken from a line uttered by his character in “Saving Private Ryan,” a role for which he garnered Oscar buzz. But he wrote that success turned him into a “spoiled movie star,” an “arrogant fool” and eventually “a hope-to-die addict.”
He racked up a string of domestic violence arrests. Sizemore was married once, to actor Maeve Quinlan, and was arrested on suspicion of beating her in 1997. While the charges were dropped, the couple divorced in 1999.
Sizemore was convicted of abusing ex-girlfriend Heidi Fleiss in 2003 — the same year he pleaded no contest and avoided trial in a separate abuse case — and sentenced to jail. The former Hollywood madam testified that he had punched her in the jaw at a Beverly Hills hotel, and beaten her in New York to the point where they couldn’t attend the “Black Hawk Down” premiere.
The sentencing judge said drug abuse was likely a catalyst but that testimony had revealed a man who had deep problems dealing with women. Fleiss called Sizemore “a zero” in a conversation with The Associated Press after his conviction.
Sizemore apologized in a letter, saying he was “chastened” and that “personal demons” had taken over his life, though he later denied abusing her and accused her of faking a picture showing her bruises.
Fleiss also sued Sizemore, saying she suffered emotional distress after he threatened to get her own probation revoked. Fleiss had been convicted in 1994 of running a high-priced call-girl ring. That lawsuit was settled on undisclosed terms.
Sizemore was the subject of two workplace sexual harassment lawsuits related to the 2002 CBS show “Robbery Homicide Division,” in which he played a police detective. He was arrested as recently as 2016 in another domestic violence case.
Sizemore ended up jailed from August 2007 to January 2009 for failing numerous drug tests while on probation and after Bakersfield, California, authorities found methamphetamine in his car.
“God’s trying to tell me he doesn’t want me using drugs because every time I use them I get caught,” Sizemore told The Bakersfield Californian in a jailhouse interview.
Sizemore told the AP in 2013 that he believed his dependency was related to the trappings of success. He struggled to maintain his emotional composure as he described a low point looking in the mirror: “I looked like I was 100 years old. I had no relationship with my kids; I had no work to speak off. I was living in squat.”
He appeared on the reality TV show “Celebrity Rehab” and its spinoff “Sober House,” telling the AP that he did the shows to receive help, but also partly to pay off accumulated debts that ran into the millions.
Many of Sizemore’s later-career films had a sci-fi, horror or action bent: In 2022 alone, he starred in movies with such titles as “Impuratus,” “Night of the Tommyknockers” and “Vampfather.” But Sizemore still nabbed a few meaty roles — including in the “Twin Peaks” revival — and guest spots on popular shows like “Entourage” and “Hawaii Five-O.”
A stuntman sued Sizemore and Paramount Pictures in 2016, saying he was injured when the allegedly intoxicated actor ran him over while filming USA’s “Shooter.” State records obtained by the AP showed that Sizemore was only supposed to be sitting in the unmoving car and that he “improvised at the end of the scene and drove away in his car.” Sizemore was fired from “Shooter” and the stuntman’s lawsuit was settled on undisclosed terms.
In addition to his film and TV credits, he was part of the voice cast for 2002′s “Grand Theft Auto: Vice City” video game. He also taught classes at the LA West Acting Studio, according to recent advertisements.
He is survived by his 17-year-old twin sons, Jayden and Jagger, and his brother Paul, all of whom were by his side when he died.
“I’ve led an interesting life, but I can’t tell you what I’d give to be the guy you didn’t know anything about,” Sizemore wrote in his memoir.
You may like
Central Florida News
FNN Honors Teen Reporter Isabella Schmitt as She Graduates and Pursues Communications Degree
Published
1 week agoon
May 15, 2026ORLANDO, Fla. (FNN) — Florida National News proudly celebrates Isabella Schmitt as she marks an important milestone with her high school graduation and prepares to begin an exciting new chapter pursuing Communications in college.
Over the years, Isabella has represented the next generation of young voices with professionalism, creativity, determination, and passion.
Through reporting opportunities, community involvement, and media experiences, she has continued to shine both on and off camera while inspiring others through her dedication and work ethic.
Jenny Rosario, Vice President of Florida National News, praised Isabella’s accomplishments and bright future ahead.
“Watching Isabella grow both personally and professionally has been truly inspiring,” Rosario said. “She represents the future of journalism, communications, and storytelling. Her passion, confidence, and commitment to making a positive impact through media are remarkable, and we are incredibly proud of all she has accomplished.”
Rosario added that Isabella’s decision to pursue Communications in college is a natural next step for someone with such strong talent and determination.
“The world of media and communications needs more young voices like Isabella’s,” Rosario said. “We know this is only the beginning of many great accomplishments to come.”
Florida National News congratulates Isabella Schmitt and the entire Class of 2026 on this exciting achievement.
“Keep dreaming big and telling stories that matter,” Rosario added.
Entertainment
How Orlando International Fashion Week Builds Confidence: A Belonging-Driven Casting Experience
Published
2 weeks agoon
May 9, 2026By Dr. Jessica Henlon | Education Contributor for Florida National News
At Orlando International Fashion Week (OIFW), the runway does not begin on show day. It begins at casting.
Over two weekends this April, OIFW welcomed hundreds of aspiring and experienced models to CityArts Gallery in Downtown Orlando for official casting calls ahead of the June 6 runway shows. What unfolded was more than an audition process. It was a carefully designed experience rooted in a powerful truth: when people feel seen, supported, and welcomed, they are more likely to show up with confidence.
From first-time participants to returning talent, families, creatives, and industry professionals, the casting experience reflected what makes OIFW different. It was not just about selecting models. It was about creating a space where people felt confident enough to try.
Belonging First, Performance Second
In educational psychology, belonging is not a soft concept. It is a driver of motivation, persistence, and self-efficacy. Research in postsecondary education has consistently linked students’ sense of belonging to academic outcomes, engagement, and persistence (Fong et al., 2024; Gopalan & Brady, 2020). While OIFW is not a classroom, the same human principles apply. People perform differently when they feel safe, valued, and connected.
This also aligns with my doctoral research on online first-generation college students. In that study, participants described virtual extracurricular activities as affirming spaces that supported leadership development, motivation, self-efficacy, and belonging (Henlon, 2025). The findings affirmed that engagement spaces are not “extra.” They can be essential to how people build identity, confidence, and persistence.
OIFW reflects this same principle in a creative industry setting. People come back because of how they are treated.
Designing a Confidence-Building Experience
The atmosphere inside CityArts Gallery was intentional.
Models of all ages and backgrounds moved through the casting process in a space that felt structured, supportive, and human. Team members gave clear direction, answered questions, and offered encouragement in real time. Families felt comfortable. First-time participants felt included. Returning models felt valued.
Those details matter.
Social Cognitive Theory suggests that individuals build confidence through observation, encouragement, and successful participation in meaningful environments (Bandura, 1986). When a model sees others walk, receive feedback, and try again, the room becomes a learning space. Confidence is not simply demanded. It is modeled, practiced, and reinforced.
That approach also connects to the modeling and fashion curriculum I developed for youth and emerging talent, where self-esteem, work ethic, body language, preparation, and reflection were built directly into the learning experience. The curriculum framed self-esteem as confidence in one’s own worth and abilities, while encouraging participants to celebrate success, develop talents, practice positive self-talk, and treat themselves well. That same foundation was visible at casting: confidence grows when people are given structure, encouragement, and room to develop.
A Creative Ecosystem in Motion
Casting weekends brought together more than models.
Photographers, videographers, designers, media professionals, artists, families, and community members shared the same creative space. More than 20 photographers and videographers were present capturing content, building portfolios, and documenting the energy of the experience. Florida National News was also on-site, conducting interviews and helping tell the story of the event.
This kind of creative ecosystem matters because learning and confidence often grow through participation, not observation alone. Research on connected arts learning emphasizes the importance of linking creative practice to supportive relationships, cultural relevance, and opportunity pathways (Peppler et al., 2022). In other words, creative spaces become more powerful when they connect people to each other and to what comes next.
At OIFW, casting is not hidden behind closed doors. It is visible, collaborative, and alive. This is where relationships are built.
Inclusion as Strategy, Not Statement
OIFW continues to prioritize an inclusive casting approach that welcomes models across ages, sizes, backgrounds, and experience levels. This is more than a value statement. It is part of the structure.
Research on organized activities shows that participation in supportive group settings can help young people build social capital, strengthen relationships, and develop confidence through meaningful interaction (Boat et al., 2024). Similarly, studies of extracurricular activities have found that participation can strengthen self-efficacy, identity, and skill development when activities are structured with purpose and support (Griffiths et al., 2021).
That is why inclusive casting matters. When a young person, a first-time model, or a returning participant sees a range of people welcomed into the process, the message is clear: there is room for you here.
For families, this creates trust.
For designers, it creates range.
For sponsors and media, it tells a deeper story.
For participants, it builds confidence.
Safety, Structure, and Trust
With a strong presence of youth participants, OIFW maintains clear expectations around professionalism, age-appropriate presentation, and safety. Families can trust that the environment is monitored, structured, and designed with care.
That trust is part of why participants return season after season.
In youth development research, positive experiences in organized activities are strongest when young people experience supportive relationships, clear expectations, and opportunities to build skills (Boat et al., 2024; Heath et al., 2022). OIFW’s casting model reflects that kind of intentional design. The goal is not only to prepare people for the runway. It is to help them feel prepared to step into the room.
More Than a Casting Call
What happened over these two weekends was not only about who made the runway.
It was about creating a space where people felt confident enough to try, supported enough to grow, and inspired enough to return. It was about helping participants move from nervousness to possibility. It was about making sure that the first step toward the runway felt welcoming, not intimidating.
Creative participation can support well-being, identity development, and self-expression, especially when the environment is inclusive and relational (Mak & Fancourt, 2019; Peppler et al., 2022). OIFW’s casting experience shows how arts and fashion spaces can function as confidence-building environments when they are designed with care.
That is the OIFW difference.
Confidence is not built through pressure alone. It is built through belonging, visibility, preparation, and meaningful interaction.
Looking Ahead
Orlando International Fashion Week continues to build toward its summer season:
May 16, 2026: Avant Garde Showcase at Orlando Fringe Festival
June 5, 2026: VIP Mixer at Morse Code Lounge
June 6, 2026: “626 Euphoria” Runway Shows at Winter Park Events Center
Tickets are available at www.OIFW.org.
Entertainment
160+ Bands, 5 Stages: Welcome To Rockville Returns to Daytona International Speedway May 7–10 with Expanded Fan Experience
Published
1 month agoon
April 15, 2026By
Willie DavidDAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (FNN) — Music set times have been released for the 15th anniversary of Welcome To Rockville, Florida’s largest rock, metal and punk festival, set for May 7–10, 2026 at Daytona International Speedway.
Produced by Danny Wimmer Presents, the four-day event will feature more than 160 bands performing across five stages, marking the festival’s largest lineup to date.
HEADLINERS AND DAILY LINEUP
This year’s festival will be headlined by Foo Fighters, My Chemical Romance, Guns N’ Roses and Bring Me The Horizon.
- Thursday, May 7: Guns N’ Roses, Five Finger Death Punch, Godsmack, Staind
- Friday, May 8: Foo Fighters, Turnstile, The Offspring, Parkway Drive
- Saturday, May 9: Bring Me The Horizon, Breaking Benjamin, Motionless in White, Lamb of God
- Sunday, May 10: My Chemical Romance, A Day To Remember, Rise Against, Yellowcard
FESTIVAL EXPANSION AND NEW FEATURES
Organizers announced several enhancements for 2026 aimed at improving the fan experience. A new “Pit Stop” fan zone near the Apex Stage will feature artist interviews, special performances and interactive experiences.
In addition, the Garage Stage will be fully tented for the first time, offering expanded shade coverage and upgraded production for attendees.
SPECIAL EVENTS AND EXPERIENCES
Festivalgoers can kick off the week with a pre-party on May 6 featuring performances by Fuel, Local H and others.
A new crossover event, “Blood4Blood,” will also take place at the Ocean Center, combining live music with bare-knuckle fighting, including a headline bout featuring Alex Terrible of Slaughter to Prevail.
TICKETS, ACCESS AND ATTENDANCE
Festival gates will open daily at 11:30 a.m. Organizers are offering a range of ticket options, including single-day, weekend, VIP and camping packages. A new Camp to Coast shuttle will provide transportation between the speedway and nearby beaches.
With expanded attractions, including rides, themed bars and interactive zones, Welcome To Rockville 2026 is expected to draw tens of thousands of fans to Daytona Beach, reinforcing its role as a major driver of Florida’s tourism and live entertainment economy.

