ORLANDO, Fla. (FNN SPORTS) – Source: Orlando City SC // Orlando City SC (3-3-2, 11 points) earned a 1-0 victory over the Vancouver Whitecaps (1-5-2, 5 points) on Saturday at Orlando City Stadium. The win served as the first for the Lions over Vancouver in Club history.
Nani recorded lone goal on the afternoon, scoring in the 88th minute, and now leads the team with four goals in 2019. Nani scored his game-winner off a deflection after Sacha Kljestan sent a shot attempt from inside the box. All four of his goals have come in the Lions’ last three contests.
Head Coach James O’Connor:
“Obviously really, really pleased to get the three points. I thought Vancouver made it obviously very difficult for us. I think at times we showed some decent passages, but I think we could have played a little bit cleaner, a little bit crisper, but I think it’s a massive win for us. I think with games like that it’s really important that you go and you win the game. The players deserve enormous credit for doing that, for going and getting the win.”
Ruan sent a ball across the penalty area from the right side to the feet of Sacha Kljestan, who took a shot toward the right corner. Attempting to jump out of the way, the ball deflected off Nani into the back of the net for the game-winner.
- The Lions’ 1-0 victory was its first over the Whitecaps in Club history.
- Nani’s goal served as his fourth this season and the fourth consecutive match where he has registered a goal contribution for the Lions.
- Goalkeeper Brian Rowe recorded his second shutout as a Lion, his first coming in a 1-0 victory at RBNY on March 23.
- Midfielder Sacha Kljestan was credited with an assist on the afternoon, his first of 2019. He now sits in a tie with Cobi Jones for 8th in MLS history with 91. Kljestan reached this feat in 57 appearances less than Jones (306 to 249).
- Defender Ruan registered his first assist as a Lion.
- With Sacha’s assist off the bench, a substitute has now registered a goal contribution for the Lions in each of their eight games this season.
- The victory was City’s second-consecutive at Orlando City Stadium.
Orlando City heads out on the road for its second and final meeting this season with 2015 expansion rivals NYCFC on Saturday. Kickoff is set for 1 p.m. ET at Yankee Stadium.
|Orlando City SC||0||1||1|
ORL – Nani (Sacha Kljestan, Ruan) 89’
ORL – Nani (Yellow Card) 62’
VAN – Derek Cornelius (Yellow Card) 90’
VAN – Lass (Yellow Card) 90+3’
Orlando City SC – GK Brian Rowe; D João Moutinho, Robin Jansson, Lamine Sané, Ruan (Kyle Smith 90+8’); M Sebastián Méndez, Uri Rosell, Will Johnson (Sacha Kljestan 76’); F Ⓒ Nani, Dom Dwyer (Tesho Akindele 72’), Chris Mueller
Substitutes Not Used: GK Greg Ranjitsingh; D Kamal Miller; M Cristian Higuita; F Josué Colmán
Vancouver Whitecaps – GK Zac MacMath; D Ali Adnan, Derek Cornelius, Doneil Henry (Lass 90+2’), Erik Godoy, Scott Sutter; M Russell Teibert (Victor “PC” Giro 90+2’), Felipe, Hwang In-Beom; F Fredy Montero (Joaquín Ardáiz 79’), Yordy Reyna
Substitutes Not Used: GK Maxime Crépeau; D Jakob Nerwinski; M Jon Erice, Lass, Lucas Venuto
Details of the Game:
Time: 3:00 p.m. ET
Date: April 20, 2019
ORL – 60.6%
VAN – 39.4%
ORL – 16
VAN – 6
ORL – 2
VAN – 2
ORL – 9
VAN – 11
ORL – 7
VAN – 6